Fact file - London's Working Population

There were 5.4 million people of working-age in London during the period April 2013 to March 2014.White people made up 62% of the working-age population and black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) people the remaining 38%. Figure 1. shows the proportional representation of each ethnic group as well as their actual number.

UK Labour Market Status by Ethnicity (July - Sept 2014) Figure 1: Employment Rates for all Aged 16 - 64

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whilst the proportion of white working-age residents remain the same for both Inner and OuterLondon, there is a stark difference in the Indian resident population where they make up 10% of the Outer London population and only 3% of the Inner London population.

Working age population for Inner London April 2013 - March 2014

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

London Labour Market Status by Ethnicity (April 2013 - March 2014)

In London during the period April 2013 to March 2014, the proportion of BAME people aged between 16 - 64 in work (employment rate) was 61.4% compared to 70.5% for the overall London population(see figure 4).  At the same time, the unemployment rate for BAME people aged 16+ was 12.8%  compared to 8.2% for the overall population.  The percent of BAME people aged 16 - 64 who were classified as economically inactive was 29.6% compared to 23.2% for the overall London population.

 

The labour market status of  Inner and Outer London boroughs during the same time period. 

 

Labour market status ( all of London) April 2013 - March 2014

 

 

Labour market status table

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The labour market comprises three main groups - everybody aged 16 or over who is either  employed, unemployed or economically inactive.

Employment = Anyone doing one hour or more a week of paid work is counted in the employment figures. This includes people on government supported training programmes if they are engaging in any form of work, work experience or work-related training.  The employment estimates also include unpaid family workers, who work in a family business and benefit from the profits of the business although they do not receive a formal wage or salary.  People working without pay (for example,volunteers in charity shops) are not included in the employment figures.

Unemployment = People not in employment are counted as unemployed if they have been looking for work in the last four weeks and if they are able to start work within the next two weeks.  It does not  matter if the person is looking for a full-time job or a part-time job or whether the person is claiming Jobseeker's Allowance or any other benefits.  The unemployment estimates also include people who  are out of work, have found a job and are waiting to start it in the next two weeks.

 Economically Inactive = Economically inactive people are not in employment but are not counted as unemployed either because they have not been looking for work in the last four weeks or because they are unable to start work within the next two weeks.  The economically inactive population includes retired people, those looking after the family or home, those unable to work due to illness or disability and those students who choose not to look for work.(A common misunderstanding is to assume that all full-time students are in the economically inactive category. This is incorrect.  A full- time student with a part-time job will be recorded in the employment figures.  Students who have been looking for a job within the last four weeks and who would be able to start work within the next two  weeks would be counted as unemployed, even if they are only looking for part-time work).